How to fix Potential Windows update database error detected 0x80070490 is a state where the user cannot update or download any applications to the computer and appears when trying to update any version of Windows 10. To completely fix error 0x80070490, follow the instructions in this article.
Cause of error 0x80070490
Windows Update Error 0x80070490 usually comes from a variety of causes such as a conflicting third-party Antivirus that is preventing updates from installing, or from corrupt files in a component-based service (CBS) or in Windows. system components. In addition, some WU-requested services are manually disabled or corrupt in Registry.
Instructions to fix error 0x80070490
Check your privacy settings
Your Windows 10 security settings can prevent apps from accessing your email . Navigate to Settings, select Privacy and go to Email, Calendar and People. Then allow apps to access your email and calendar.
Restart your Mail app and try adding the problematic email account again. If the error persists, restart your computer and try again.
Update Mail & Calendar app
Go to Microsoft Store , search for Mail & Calendar app and press Update button . Alternatively, click More options and select Downloads and updates. Many users confirmed that installing the latest version of the app solved the problem.
Set up the Calendar app
Other users suggested that you set up the Calendar app first and then customize your email settings.
- Launch the Calendar app, click Settings and go to Manage accounts.
- Select Add Account and follow the on-screen instructions.
Wait until your calendar data syncs and then check your email settings.
Reset Mail and Calendar apps
If the problem persists, move on to the next solution on the list. Try resetting the app but keep in mind that this solution will also delete your app data.
- Navigate to Windows Settings, select Apps, then click Apps & features.
- Scroll down to the Mail & Calendar app.
- Then select Advanced options..
- Nhấn nút Reset , khởi chạy lại ứng dụng và kiểm tra kết quả.
Run SFC and DISM
- Type cmd on the Windows Search bar.
- Right click on Command Prompt app and select Run as administrator .
- Type the following commands and press Enter after each command
DISM.exe / Trực tuyến / Cleanup-image / Scanhealth
DISM.exe / Trực tuyến / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth
- af ter that: sfc /scannow .
- When the scan is finished, restart your computer and relaunch the Mail app.
Windows 10 Mail App error 0x80070490 indicates that your security settings are preventing the Mail app from accessing your email. To fix it, edit your settings, update the app and check the results. If the problem persists, reset your Mail and Calendar apps and use the SFC and DISM commands to scan and repair your system files.
Windows 8 and 8.1
This is the response I get when I run the Windows update troubleshooter from the Windows 8.1 Action Center. If I click next it reports the errors have been fixed. However if I run it again it reports exactly the same errors.
After searching the Internet I have found that several users have reported having this issue. As result of the aforementioned search I have tried the following:
1) Run the Fixit tool for Windows 8.1 located at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us.
2) Run the System Update Readiness commands: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth located at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us.
3) Saved contents of C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 to a temp folder and then deleted contents of C:\Windows\System32\catroot2.
4)Renamed C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old
5) Restarted Windows 8.1.
6) Verified that C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 and that C:Windows\SoftwareDistribution folders had been rebuilt.
7) I then ran the Windows update troubleshooter from the Window 8.1 Action Center again and got the same response as listed above. The errors still exist and are not fixed.
8) Finally, I did a completely new clean install of Windows 8.1 and without installing anything else (no updates, no software, no antivirus) the above errors appeared within an hour of the install.
Any suggestions that will help fix this issue will be of great help.